Monday, November 30, 2009

Tell President Obama NO!!




You've probably heard that President Obama is about to decide whether to send a lot more troops to Afghanistan.1

And since you're an activist, you also know that there are a ton of reasons this would be a mistake: Hundreds more troops will be killed along with countless civilians. And we could get stuck in an Iraq-style quagmire for decades, while terrorism experts say this isn't even a good way to fight Al Qaeda.

Well, here's one more reason: The war will bankrupt our economy and divert funds we urgently need for health care, education and jobs.

Afghanistan is just about the most remote, difficult-to-access part of the world there is. Sending a gallon of gas there costs $400; keeping a soldier armed, fed and cared for costs almost $1 million a year!2

Tell President Obama -- with the economy in shambles, we just can't afford any more war. It's time to stop sending troops, and create a clear timetable to bring everyone home from Afghanistan.

http://act.truemajorityaction.org/p/dia/action/public/?action_KEY=44

We have nearly 70,000 troops already in Afghanistan,3 yet over the last few months, things have consistently gone from bad to worse despite our engagement. So it's no surprise that most Americans are now opposed to the war.4

Despite Afghanistan's problems and lack of public support, some people inside the beltway want to send a huge number of additional troops into harms way -- with no timeline for their return and no clear mission to gauge progress by.5

It's the same mistake that got us trapped in Iraq, and which President Obama has promised to avoid with a new foreign policy.

Don't let us go down the same path again - tell Obama not to send more troops.


Is President Obama really going to tell us tomorrow thousands of our troops are going to Afghanistan?? I'm sorry but I can not support the president on this decision, no matter how long and hard it was for him. I don't see an end to these quagmires. I'm so thankful I have no family or friends fighting in these wars or I don't know how I would handle this horrible news! Cindy Sheehan is my hero, here is some of the latest news about her....

In August, 2009, Sheehan protested at Martha's Vineyard during President Barack Obama's stay there. According to ABC News: "Sheehan invoked Sen. Ted Kennedy's passing as part of her message, noting that he was firmly anti-war and how he said his proudest vote as a senator was his 2002 vote against the Iraq war."[84]

On October 5 Sheehan was arrested with sixty others at the White House protesting President Obama's continuation of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. She told CNN: "I think the mood of the country and the mood of our movement is getting a little bit more desperate, and (that) this will be the time to be able to translate our tireless activism and work for peace."[85]

Please sign the petition!

21 comments:

Tao Dao Man said...

This escalation, [surge] has been on the drawing boards for a long time. [hint] Obama kept Gates. [hint] ZBIG Obama's foreign policy adviser. [hint] Obama kept Patreus. [hint] Obama kept Mc Chrystal. [hint] Pipelineistan needs to be controlled. [hint] Wall st. MIC, Banksters backed Obanma. etc,etc,

Leslie Parsley said...

All the hints were there, but it doesn't mean the final decision is wise.

Jerry Critter said...

"Let's make war, not love" is alive and kicking!

Tao Dao Man said...

LP. The point of my comment was that this should come as no surprise to anyone. He said he would escalate Afghanistan, and even go into Pakistan in order to [chase] A/Q. The die hard Dems were not listening to what he was saying, or to who was grooming him as the chosen one. The die hard Dems only listened to their own hatred of the Shrubster. Again we were given the choice of the lesser of the two evils. As i always say ----They select so we may elect---After this, more people will recognize that we exist under a one party system. And that SYSTEM is, and has been broken.

Tao Dao Man said...

JC; Making war is the same as making love for the war mongers. They do not see it as war. They see it as furthering their globalist agenda.

One Fly said...

Tell President Obama NO!!

and I did just that and may everybody do the same.

I will watch and until the words of escalation actually spill from his mouth will I believe it.

Sue said...

RZ I am afraid your reality is slowly becoming clearer and clearer to me. I hate it tho!! I wanted so bad for our dem president to be DIFFERENT, but the changes going on around the globe are very different from the Clinton years. We couldn't just elect a democrat and think things would be all roses and rainbows, it's a new age, and I don't like it one bit!

Tao Dao Man said...

SUE; This is very depressing for me, as well as it must be to others. The times are really not that much different than the Clinton years. They just pushed the pedal to the metal. Once he escalates this time, it will be easier to escalate again. It will almost be impossible to pull out any time soon.

Tao Dao Man said...

I was going to post this on my blog today, but I decided to wait till tomorrow. If any one truly thinks that Obama picked Gates, and Hillary all on his own. Then they should read this. I have said before--- the regime picks the president, the president does not pick his regime.

http://www.consortiumnews.com/2009/113009.html

Sue said...

If Obama won't end these wars then Congress must. Grayson was just on the Ed show and he spoke about that. I think there will be a vote to end the wars, what will Obama do then???

Tao Dao Man said...

SUE; lol, I saw the same thing. I agree there should be an up or down vote on continuing the wars. At least then we wold know where every one stands. IT WILL NOT HAPPEN. They do not want to show their true colors to the American people when they vote to [stay the course]. As Ed said on his show. This is more of the Bush doctrine.

Sue said...

I'm not so sure RZ. The 2 Sens. who spoke to Ed sounded to me like Congress is against the surge of more troops, well, Democrats are. maybe a vote is our only hope!

susan said...

It makes me ill!
And it is a political chess move. That's all.

Sue said...

Susan it makes me ill too, I actually feel physically sick in my chest, my heart aches for our troops who must fight in the baseless endless wars. A tiny piece of me holds out hope Obama will say something different than what we expect he'll say tomorrow.

Karen said...

I DON'T LIKE IT!

I DON'T LIKE IT!

I DON'T LIKE IT!

I DON'T LIKE IT!

I DON'T LIKE IT!

I DON'T LIKE IT!

DID I SAY... I DON'T LIKE IT!

PULEEZE MR. PREZ...I DON'T LIKE IT!

Sue said...

Mr.President, are you listening??

WE HATE IT!!

susan said...

and the republicans are going to scream that 30,000 more troops is not enough. Watch...oh wait they already started. It's a mad mad mad world!

Leslie Parsley said...

RZ: The point of my comment was that this should come as no surprise to anyone.

You're right, of course. I guess I was just hoping for a different decision. That's what happens when you live in a dream world and you hope for the best.

susan said...

Michael Moore says it like this.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mikes-letter/open-letter-president-obama-michael-moore

Sue said...

I live in a dream world too Leslie,

Susan I read Michael Moores letter, I heart him....

Leslie Parsley said...

Crooks and Liars challenges Moore on his "rewriting" history.