Thursday, December 16, 2010

I knew it....

Is Obama About to Sell Us Out on Social Security? The Political Fallout Would Be Devastating

Obama has signaled that he might include Social Security cuts as part of a grand deficit-reduction deal. If that occurs, expect civil war among the Democrats.

The post at AlterNet where you can read it all.....

When the right congratulates Obama for winning, you know he is losing. For starters, the proposed compromise isn't much of an economic stimulus. If the deal passes Congress, taxpayers will be paying the same income tax rates in 2011 and 2012 as in 2010. No stimulus there.
The only real stimulus is the temporary cut in Social Security taxes, the extension of unemployment insurance plus a few minor tax breaks for regular people, totaling about $200 billion. That's a little more than one percent of a $15 trillion economy. Pretty puny, certainly a lot smaller than the inadequate stimulus of February 2009 when the recession was only beginning to deepen.
Except for the extension of unemployment insurance, which should be done out of common decency, most of the "stimulus" is pure Republican ideology -- stimulate the economy by cutting taxes. If that had worked, the huge tax cuts of the Bush years would have kept the economy out of recession.

A Democratic president with strong progressive principles and political nerve would have taken his party into the mid-term election pledging never to cut Social Security and daring Republicans to take a similar pledge. Instead, Obama appointed a deficit commission with a majority of appointees wanting to cut the Democrats' signature program -- thus blurring party differences on the Democrats' biggest political winner.


I used to be an optimistic person, believing the Democratic Party was the party for middle America. I feel myself turning into a cynical, fearmongering doom and gloomer and I HATE IT! But what are we supposed to think when we read things like this article? All you need to do is look at this Obama/ McConnell tax cut bill to see the GOP destruction that is about to happen. It feels very much like President Obama knows what kind of deal he struck and it all really doesn't matter.....
Bush-era tax cuts extended for the rich,  payroll tax reduction; estate tax exemption level at $5 million, unemployment benefits extensions that do not help the 99ers.....the wool has been pulled over our heads.

14 comments:

Jerry Critter said...

This is what happens when money, instead of humanity, rules.

Leslie Parsley said...

"Social Security reform isn't likely soon. Neither the administration nor any noteworthy lawmaker is pushing legislation."

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAnalysis/Article/557098/201012161915/Social-Security-Reform-Possible-Payroll-Tax-Cut-May-Be-A-Step.htm

Leslie Parsley said...

This article originated with Robert Kuttner @ HuffPo and is also on Politico. I rank him right up - er, down - there with FDL.

Anonymous said...

Uggghhh!!!!!!! I hope not!

Sue said...

money definitely rules, it's a shame.

Leslie I'm so discouraged and I don't know what it's gonna take to get my trust and faith back. I guess it will be a waiting game for me. I can't have blind faith anymore, too many disappointments lately. I'm trying to stress here that its the GOP who is hell bent on bringing down Obama and our country, but my trust in Obama is wavering. I really believe this tax cut bill will be used against the democrats and Obama in the next 2 years and force them to make decisions on the budget cuts they would not normally make.

Just look what McConnell did with the omnibus spending bill! Republicans had just as much pork and helped in drafting that monster then turn around and boldfaced lied to the American people putting ALL the blame on democrats!! They can not be trusted.... But neither can democrats be trusted to stand up to those fuckers!

Unknown said...

I knew when I voted for Obama that he wasn't left of the center, I thought he was a centrist and that was better than the extremist crap spewing out of Lame McCain's piehole.

But I was wrong...Obama isn't even a centrist.

Those of us on Social Security haven't had a COLA in two years and they aren't going to give us one next year either. My spouse and I live below the poverty level, but we have never bitched about it, we just do the best we can with what we get. We figure families with kids need it more than we do.

And to think I got my husband, a registered Rethug, to vote for Obama. He doesn't let a day go by where he doesn't rub my nose in it. He was sick of the R's and how they have fucked Amerika...but Obama is turning out to be the best President the R's ever had...even beating out Clinton.

Jerry Critter said...

Maybe the republicans really wanted Obama all along. That's the only thing that makes sense when you consider the people they put up against him. They ran a couple of sure losers, particularly with Palin on the ticket.

Sue said...

Jerry alot of people do think that. Look at what McCain did choosing Palin, it was a sure loss for him after that move. I've heard some say the republicans fucked up the country so bad they didn't know how to fix it so they didn't want the job of trying and then failing again. It makes total sense. With having Obama as president the GOP gets most of what they want, so I don't know why conservatives hate his policies.

Sue said...

Dusty I'm discouraged but not so much I would replace Obama with a republican. I think my friends are misunderstanding me, I'm not turning my back on Obama, I think he has good intentions but the GOP mops the floor with him and he lets them. I don't put Obama on the same level as those thugs, but he is no progressive. Maybe we are kidding our selves thinking a true progressive could be president, just like the hardcore conservatives would like a teabagger to be president but that won't happen either.

Sue said...

we have to keep our chins up Donna!

Jerry Critter said...

You are right, Sue. While I may be pissed at Obama right now, he is way better than a republican in the office. I shudder to think where we would be if McCain/Palin were running things.

The CDM said...

Jerry, one thing for sure is that Sarah would have turned in her resignation by now.

Jerry Critter said...

CDM,
You are right. Her term would have been half over. Then she could have been called the half vice president as well as the half governor -- and we all know that she is a half-wit.

The CDM said...

(Idea for a new Guiness commercial)

Fade in the 2 irish guys in the lab:


"A half vice president that was a half governor and now known as a half-wit?......BRILLIANT!!!"