Thursday, December 10, 2009

Obama doctrine??

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy



I loved the speech, I loved the look on his face, he was humbled and moved. Today I am very proud of you Mr. President. If you so choose, you can read the speech on any of the news websites. Here are a few passages that I felt stood out explaining his views on war...

" I do not bring with me today a definitive solution to the problems of war. What I do know is that meeting these challenges will require the same vision, hard work, and persistence of those men and women who acted so boldly decades ago. And it will require us to think in new ways about the notions of just war and the imperatives of a just peace.

We must begin by acknowledging the hard truth that we will not eradicate violent conflict in our lifetimes. There will be times when nations - acting individually or in concert - will find the use of force not only necessary but morally justified.

I make this statement mindful of what Martin Luther King said in this same ceremony years ago - "Violence never brings permanent peace. It solves no social problem: it merely creates new and more complicated ones." As someone who stands here as a direct consequence of Dr. King's life's work, I am living testimony to the moral force of non-violence. I know there is nothing weak -nothing passive - nothing naïve - in the creed and lives of Gandhi and King.

But as a head of state sworn to protect and defend my nation, I cannot be guided by their examples alone. I face the world as it is, and cannot stand idle in the face of threats to the American people. For make no mistake: evil does exist in the world. A non-violent movement could not have halted Hitler's armies. Negotiations cannot convince al Qaeda's leaders to lay down their arms. To say that force is sometimes necessary is not a call to cynicism - it is a recognition of history; the imperfections of man and the limits of reason."

He also spoke about the mistakes from the Bush/Cheney administration, torture and what it did to our reputation around the globe...

"Let me make one final point about the use of force. Even as we make difficult decisions about going to war, we must also think clearly about how we fight it. The Nobel Committee recognized this truth in awarding its first prize for peace to Henry Dunant - the founder of the Red Cross, and a driving force behind the Geneva Conventions.

Where force is necessary, we have a moral and strategic interest in binding ourselves to certain rules of conduct. And even as we confront a vicious adversary that abides by no rules, I believe that the United States of America must remain a standard bearer in the conduct of war. That is what makes us different from those whom we fight. That is a source of our strength. That is why I prohibited torture. That is why I ordered the prison at Guantanamo Bay closed. And that is why I have reaffirmed America's commitment to abide by the Geneva Conventions. We lose ourselves when we compromise the very ideals that we fight to defend. And we honor those ideals by upholding them not just when it is easy, but when it is hard."

One of my favorites...

"The non-violence practiced by men like Gandhi and King may not have been practical or possible in every circumstance, but the love that they preached - their faith in human progress - must always be the North Star that guides us on our journey.

For if we lose that faith - if we dismiss it as silly or naïve; if we divorce it from the decisions that we make on issues of war and peace - then we lose what is best about humanity. We lose our sense of possibility. We lose our moral compass."

This speech is the Barack Obama I admire so much. Yes, today I am so proud of our President!

20 comments:

Annette said...

It was a wonderful speech.. I have the entire speech posted and highlighted some of the same passages you did.

He made his case...both for the prize and for the troop increase. Now if people would just support him and help him in this difficult time, it is up to us.. to help him in this because it is not an easy decision for him.. no matter what people may think.

Sue said...

It was great wasn't it! I had my doubts about the war, I hated the troop increase, but he really did make the case and I understand what he said. Just look what is going on in our country and the world, how this man decided he was going to be president and stand tall in the wake of this massive undertaking has to say volumes about his character. He really is a special person and we are lucky to have him on our side.
(God I hope I still feel the same way next week or you'll all have me commited! LOL)

Tao Dao Man said...

I guess I missed something in this speech. He is a self chosen War President now. This was nothing to be proud of. He laid out that the Obama Doctrine will outdo the Bush Doctrine. ===Endless wars via wars without borders.

Karen said...

Great speech by my fav Prez!

Jerry Critter said...

The words are great and inspirational. Words are needed and the eloquent use of them garners support and appreciation.

But actions are truth!

Sue said...

RZ I really do understand your views and sympathize with you as a veteran who hates these wars without borders. I'm trying to see Obamas point that he has no other choice at this time. Hopefully things will change for the better in the years to come. I can hear you laughing at me right now! I thought he did a great job with the speech.

Sue said...

what actions Jerry?

Tao Dao Man said...

Sue; lol. no I am not laughing at you.
I just ask that you listen to your son once in a while.

remember? lol

Jerry Critter said...

I purposely did not list any actions. My point is that words are great, but actions show whether the words are true or false. I am more interested in what he does than what he says.

Tao Dao Man said...

Does any one know who wrote this speech, or the surge speech? just asking.

Leslie Parsley said...

Apparently Jon Favreau is Obama's head speechwriter.

Sue said...

RZ my son is a wacko Bush lover, as in Dubya! LOL How can I listen to that??

Yea but Jerry are you talking about the deadline in 2011 to start the pullout? We will all be waiting for that game.

RZ you don't think those words came from Obamas heart, his true feelings? I know politicians have speech writers but they have to believe what they are saying don't they?

Jerry Critter said...

I'm not pointing to any specific words or actions. I'm not being critical of Obama. I support Obama. I'm just saying that since he is such a good speaker, we have to be careful of getting caught up is the eloquence of his speech and forgetting to watch his actions -- do the actions match the words? In general, I think they do although the naysayers can always point to exceptions.

Tao Dao Man said...

Sue; I was talking about when your son told you [they are all controlled by the same people] or am i mistaken on that?

Sue said...

I know Jerry, I'm not being sarcastic with ya :-)) yes his words are eloquent and we'll all be watching his actions closely, I hope he is a man of his word.

RZ, I think what I told you that day was my son believes dems and rethugs are one in the same.

Tao Dao Man said...

Sue, Ya that is it. And he is correct. They have the same paymasters, and it is not the American tax payer.

The CDM said...

BAH!!! HUMBUG!!!

Sue said...

WTF??? C, you don't like Christmas?? No presents for you this year young man

The CDM said...

"Cheney/Palin 012"

The coward's ticket, I hope it happens.

B.J. said...

Sue:

As you know, I’ve expressed my own thoughts about the speech on DemWit. I was interested in reading all your comments.

Once more, it is an effective exercise to read back over the transcript of this speech.

Did anyone notice that several times during the speech when Obama referred to “some countries,” he interated shortcomings in the U.S. (healthcare, ambivalence about our tropp efforts, etc.)?

BJ