Friday, October 9, 2009

Nobel Peace Prize winner... President Obama

"I am surprised and deeply humbled", President Obama said . " I do not deserve to be in the company of past winners"....... "I accept this award as a call to action" ..........

"Let me be clear, I do not view it as a recognition of my own accomplishments, but rather as an affirmation of American leadership on behalf of aspirations held by people in all nations."........


In its surprise choice, the Norwegian Nobel Committee cited the president's creation of a "new climate in international politics" and his work on nuclear disarmament, even though he is just nine months into his presidency.
This win for President Obama was based on a DECISION DESIGNED TO ENCOURAGE HIS INITIATIVES to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism.

I wonder if Limbaugh will fall off his chair in a fit of ranting and raving, screaming and slobbering all over his big fat disgusting self, while degrading our President! Obama did not ask for this NPP, and I know he is humbled because that is who he is.

Believe it or not, I do not put Obama on a pedastal. He has made decisions that I am not happy with. But he is our President and I do respect him. I have high hopes for our country because we have a President who is working hard to right the wrongs of yet another disasterous Republican administration. But people please be aware, it's been 9 MONTHS, no human being, not even Barack Obama, could work the miracles you expect of him in 9 short months. The mess our country is in will take generations to turn around.

So for those of you who are scared of much needed change, even tho you agree we need change, I will end with this from Archbishop Desmond Tutu of South Africa, who won the prize in 1984. He said Obama's award shows great things are expected from him in coming years. "It's an award coming near the beginning of the first term of office of a relatively young president that anticipates an even greater contribution towards making our world a safer place for all. It is an award that speaks to the promise of President Obama's message of HOPE."


update: I found this at Timesonline,

Obama’s is a fourth and perfect example of what Nobel scholars call the growing aspirational trend of Nobel committees over the past three decades, by which awards are given not for what has been achieved but in support of the cause being fought for. Defending the choice, the committee chairman made clear that this year’s prize fell in that category.





Read more at: http:/





13 comments:

Lisa said...

Did you know Obama was nominated 10 days after he took office? Wouldn't you feel better if h ain it for actually doing something?
Look what Jimmy Carter had to go through to win in. Kind of diminishes it don't you think?

How is trying to fix the last adminisrtation? By escalating the war,rendition or wire tapping?

I don't think right wingers are upset as much as they are laughing because the Nobel Peace Prize has always been a joke. Terrorist won it.

Maybe he was really nominated for it by weakening the United States.

TomCat said...

Sue, I think it would have been better for him to receive the award after he has time to earn it. Nevertheless, the thought od Rush Limbaugh sitting in a chairful of his own poo, is too fantastic not to enjoy it to the max.

Sue said...

point taken Tom. Why can't the prize be as an encouragement to initiate world peace? It's been a long time since we've actually had a U.S. leader who gives us hope for peace. I think Obama will come away from this with a desire to work even harder to achieve that!

B.J. said...

“The Nobel Peace Prize has always been a joke …”

Lisa, you are as dumb as dirt. What flavor is the Kool-Aid today?

Anyone with a brain:

A REASON FOR WINNING

Have a good weekend! BJ

Sue said...

thanks for the link BJ. It makes the wingnutfucks and their childish rants look so pathetic, it's no wonder they are despised.

Sue said...

this is for those who did not watch Obamas humble accepting of the Nobel Peace Prize this morning and also would not be receiving this email.

Sue --

This morning, Michelle and I awoke to some surprising and humbling news. At 6 a.m., we received word that I'd been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for 2009.

To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.

But I also know that throughout history the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes.

That is why I've said that I will accept this award as a call to action, a call for all nations and all peoples to confront the common challenges of the 21st century. These challenges won't all be met during my presidency, or even my lifetime. But I know these challenges can be met so long as it's recognized that they will not be met by one person or one nation alone.

This award -- and the call to action that comes with it -- does not belong simply to me or my administration; it belongs to all people around the world who have fought for justice and for peace. And most of all, it belongs to you, the men and women of America, who have dared to hope and have worked so hard to make our world a little better.

So today we humbly recommit to the important work that we've begun together. I'm grateful that you've stood with me thus far, and I'm honored to continue our vital work in the years to come.

Thank you,

President Barack Obama

Lisa said...

BJ I heard that. But I can bet if he didn't win for that they would have found something else. Besides talking about something isn't the same as doing something and I will quote Time Magazine(shocking)
"Obama's lips have more callouses than his hands"

The CDM said...

This is a great post. It's quaint and to the point. The simple fact that he(a black man and a democrat) won the election during a time where fear and hate were at an all time high is a feat worth this honor alone. Now, we find ourselves welcomed by the rest of the world and are not an island unto ourselves, literally.

Conservatives, who have taken this and spewed nothing but venom because of it, just goes to prove further that they are nothing but a people of hate and intolerance. Just a bunch of alleged human beings that want a president to fail, but to stupid to realize the rammifications of such a mere thought. Since when was it a bad thing that we are excepted as a repectable nation around the world and we have a leader that inspires that?

I see this as the rest of the world extending the hand back to us as if to say, "Welcome back, what took ya so long?"

Again, great post Sue. I'm surprised more haters didn't make it over here. Most likely, they're too busy seeking out other blogs that share in their disdain in order to achieve validation for their cheap and obsolete mindset.


Keep calm and carry on.

Sue said...

yes C, thats what they are doing. They stay with their own to spew hateful venom, they get off on it!

(quaint???)

thanks Charles, you are a good friend,

(I'm having a good night lol)

Sue said...

I just found this on ABCnews website...Obama hasn't done "diddly-squat," said Limbaugh, saying that the president gets prizes for giving speeches "trashing his own country" while former President George W. Bush received nothing but "derision" for his work. Limpy says.."Our president is a laughing stock, everyone is laughing at him".


WTF!!!??? You fat pig Limpballs and your friends like Beckwad are laughing, who else?? AND, GW Bushs WORK?? What would that be??

B.J. said...

Lisa: Time magazine cannot talk. Do not pull an Ann Coulter in one of her books - she quotes "The New York Tiems" when she should be quoting a columnist who writes his/her opinion in the New York Times.

Source of your quote, please.

BTW, if Obama went through college and law school, he has callouses on his fingers from taking notes. I know.

BJ

TomCat said...

Sue, I changed my mind. Obama led the movement that removed the Republicans from power. What politician could do more for world peace?

Lisa said...

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1929395,00.html

BJ-You don't get a prize for taking notes. I fthat were the case many people can win one.