Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Be afraid GOP{ and conservative bloggers!}

Did you see tonights Rachel Maddow show?  It's a must see,( like it always is) Bernie Sanders was the guest.  So far 11 Senators are on board with signatures for Harry Reid asking him to pass the HC bill with a public option through reconciliation. He also says there can be a big education bill in with the HC bill. Anyway, heres an article and tomorrow I'll post the video from Rachels show.

 WASHINGTON -- As of Wednesday early afternoon, nine senators had signed a letter urging passage of the public health insurance option through reconciliation.
Make it ten. (make it 16!)
Sen. Bernie Sanders's (I-VT) spokesman Michael Briggs confirmed to Raw Story that he will join Democratic Sens. Michael Bennett (CO), Kirsten Gillibrand (NY), Jeff Merkley (OR), Sherrod Brown (OH), Al Franken (MN), Pat Leahy, John Kerry (MA), Sheldon Whitehouse (RI) and Roland Burris (IL) in a last-ditch push for the provision.
The first four co-sponsored the letter and released it Tuesday, and The Plum Line's Greg Sargent confirmed Wednesday morning that the latter four will sign, just before Burris joined the list.
"The American people have made it clear that they want the option to buy their insurance through a Medicare-type, government-run public insurance plan," Sanders explained in a statement e-mailed to Raw Story.
The signatories urge Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (NV) to "bring for a vote before the full Senate a public health insurance option under budget reconciliation rules."
The public option, which has been the topic of explosive controversy throughout the health care deliberations, was passed in the House legislation but eliminated from the Senate version that was later approved.
The whole process hit a gridlock in January after the election of Republican Scott Brown to the senate, which gave the party the votes it needed to filibuster the final motion.
The letter continues, "There are four fundamental reasons why we support this approach – its potential for billions of dollars in cost savings; the growing need to increase competition and lower costs for the consumer; the history of using reconciliation for significant pieces of health care legislation; and the continued public support for a public option."
With Republicans poised to block another senate motion, Democrats have discussed using reconciliation -- which would require a simple majority of 51 senators -- to amend the bill before the House holds a final vote. A December poll found that six in ten Americans support the provision.

This is it guys, I am beginning to see the backbones of our Senators and they look mighty FINE!!

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

21 comments:

The CDM said...

With the latest round of hypocrisy from the repunklicans, there's blood in the water. Time to jump on this, push legislation through and piss on their whiny asses.

Fuck 'em and feed 'em fish heads!

Infidel753 said...

They should do this. Huge majorities in both Houses plus a landslide Presidential win constitute a clear mandate from the people. Having been given that, the Democrats need to use it.

Be hopeful. 2010 could be a better year for us and for the country than 2009.

Jerry Critter said...

It is time for me to come out of the closet. I am in love with Bernie!

Anonymous said...

I hope they pass it all, with a big education bill, lollipops and rainbows and a pony for every child. Spend, baby spend, and let the voters reward them in November.

TOM said...

During the election Americans were for health care insurance reform by 75%.
Republicans would have us believe that winning one Senate seat means Americans no longer want health care reform. Bullshit.
The reason polls for health care reform have declined, is because Obama has not offered the reform Americans want. There was no single payer, not even a public option. Then there were pork deals made with Democratic Senators and Americans got mad about the process.
Republicans were against it no matter what, and those who were for it got mad about not getting what they wanted.
On top of all that, Americans still want reform.
I prefer Obama put single payer on the table, or at least a public option on the table, and then pass it with 51 votes.
Obama should start passing all his legislation with 51 votes.

Leslie Parsley said...

I have all ten fingers and ten toes crossed. The sooner I can uncross them the more comfortable I will be. Great video.

Sue said...

I think 2010 IS going to be a better year. A mandate, absolutely it is clear, the people continue to speak even tho the right keeps saying "the people don't want this". Hypocrites, liars, they have one agenda and that is to destroy Obama.

Rachels shows have been great showcasing the hypocrites, I just wish those who ONLY watch Fox would watch her for a week, they would have some eye-opening experiences!

I hear ya Jerry, I love all those outspoken progressives in Washington. Their voices are whats gonna save the dems!

Silver the difference between dems spending and repubs spending is that we know how to pay for ours. Remember how Clinton balanced the budget giving us huge surpluses? Thats what Obama will do in the next three years. Once the country realizes its the democrats that are the fiscally responsible ones this country will once again prosper.

Sue said...

you're exactly right Tom. The right is twisting the poll questions to reflect good on them, it's just the opposite. Can't the people see through their hypocrisy? Really though I think they are seeing it because repubs in Congress have only about a 20% approval rating. We need to stop listening the MSM, it's all slanting to make the right look like winners!

Leslie my fingers and toes are cramping up too! It's all gonna come together, I can feel it!

Kentucky Rain said...

Backbones? Democrats? Democratic senators? This I gotta see...

Kentucky Rain said...

P.S. I am in the process of adding you to the BR of all three of my sites. You have been added to ahowlingwolf.wordpress.com and will soon be on the MMA Uptown site. I am gradually getting all my blogging friends listed. It is taking a while but I have a lot of blogging friends and that makes it all worth it :-) :-)

Sue said...

that's right Mike, it's gonna take the progressives with the spines to make things move in Washington!

Thanks, you're a doll!

Anonymous said...

If "the people" wanted this, the politicians would have passed it by now. They are struggling because polling shows "the people" more skeptical every day.

I could be wrong, I only know what I read in the papers. The only poll that matters will be the one this November.

Oso said...

Silverfiddle,
I would respectfully disagree with you there, regarding the politicians passing it if the people wanted it.

I think the politicians will pass what the Health Insurance industry wants, and I believe what Obama has come up with is very favorable to that industry. I would expect something to be passed and its shortcomings blamed on Republican opposition rather than Obamas unwillingness to consider the single payer we need, as well as his willingness to line his pockets with HC industry campaign contributions.

Sue said...

silver, the politicians who are struggling with HC reform are only thinking of themselves and their future, they are not putting the will of the people first. It's probably the fact we read differing views and polls, that's why we have differing opinions on this, that's ok! :-)

Sue said...

Oso I hope you are wrong, I have a good feeling about this progressive group coming together to put the PO back in and pass it with 51 votes. I even think Obama knew it would come down to this and he has patiently waited for it all to come together. maybe I am naive, maybe not! :-)))

mommapolitico said...

We're up to 20, I hear! I've said all along that reconciliation is the way to go. It's a page straight outta the GOP handbook, and key to why they are able to get so much done while in the majority.

Granted, we need to do something with the filibuster, but even if that doesn't happen, we can still make progress.

Great post - you've got a strong, positive, yet snarky voice (a good thing)!

The CDM said...

It appears Reid is on board, let's see how far this goes.

Oso said...

Sue,
Hope you're right! As you can tell I'm extremely disillusioned with Obama. I never supported him, I voted for Nader. I got caught up on election night when people here in Oakland were going nuts!
I jumped on the bandwagon that night then jumped back off when he plugged in an Israeli extremist into his Chief of Staff position, Rahm Emmanuel.
But who knows, maybe things will turn out ok. I'd love to be wrong in this case !

Sue said...

Feels like someone just punched me in the stomach! Ezra Klein and Lawrence O'Donnell are speaking to Olbermann about this reconciliation and neither sounds very optimistic. fuckin great.....

Do I believe them or do I stay optimistic?

Oso said...

Sue,
Here's a link to a deal between the pharmaceutical industry and Obama. I think the Public Option was just a negotiating tool of Obama's, and I think it was dropped to get these guys to buy in.

http://blog.sunlightfoundation.com/2010/02/12/the-legacy-of-billy-tauzin-the-white-house-phrma-deal/

Sue said...

thanks Oso, I started reading it then looked at how LONG it was and I need to go back tomorrow and finish it! lol. I'm not even sure I have the brains to digest it all, but I'll try!